LIFE LINE SCREENING
GAINING AN IN-DEPTH UNDERSTANDING OF CUSTOMER REQUIREMENTS
- Life Line Screening is the leading provider of
community-based preventive health services.
- Provides affordable, high-quality screenings
that are essential to the early detection of risk for stroke, heart disease,
diabetes, osteoporosis and other conditions.
- The direct-to-consumer model is at the forefront
of consumer-driven healthcare.
- Significant number of customer touch points.
- Nearly 1 million people screened / year.
- 2 million phone calls.
- Screen in 17,000 community locations.
- 100 million direct mail letters.
- 1 million “Results” letters.
- 1 million email subscribers.
- Strategic priority is customer retention.
- Goal: Double the number of returning customers from 2009 to 2012.
How can we accomplish this?
- Initial focus: Net Promoter Score (NPS).
likely is it that you would recommend our company to a friend or
- What we did to improve NPS:
- Management focus & attention: Customer First Initiative.
- Training Blasts.
- “Adoption” of 5 low performing teams.
- Streamlined customer feedback and response.
- 14 Point Customer Guarantee.
- Employee empowerment.
Improvement in NPS
So, why do a VoC
- A happy customer is not always a returning
- Qualitative vs. Quantitative insights.
- Interactive / in-depth.
- Answers the question, “why?”
Set a Budget and
- Internal or external execution.
- Length of interviews.
- Sample size quantity.
- In person vs. telephonic interviews.
- Geographical considerations.
- Difficulty and cost of recruiting.
The VoC Process
- Determine Objectives.
- Set budget and timeline.
- Determine your audience.
- Develop key questions.
- Conduct interviews.
- Analyze findings.
- Gain a VoC-driven understanding of how LLSA can
increase customer retention.
- How customers view LLSA strengths and
- Why customers return or don’t return.
- Opportunities for developing value-added
- Reactions to marketing communications and Test
Make sure learnings are
Selecting Your Audience
- Who are you trying to target?
- RFM considerations.
- How many interviews?
- Duration of interviews?
- Specific product line?
Life Line Screening VoC Audience
Develop Key Questions
- Limited # questions (35-40) in 1 hour.
- Determine who the interviewer will be.
- Develop Interview Guide.
- Does / should the customer be prepped in
- Marketing materials.
Key VoC Questions
- How did you hear about us?
- Why did you come?
- Strengths / weaknesses?
- Credible / trusted?
- Likely to come back?
- Pre / Screening / Post experience
- Communications & contact strategy
- What do you tell friends?
48 one hour interviews.
All by phone with professional interviewer.
Interviews recorded; “best of” listened to by
- VoC confirms NPS Scores.
- VoC provided these additional in-depth insights:
- LLSA has created a valuable service and is
perceived by many as their advocate and trusted resource for their
- Perceived as efficient, professional, convenient
and excellent value for money.
- We allow them to be proactive and empower them
to take control of their health.
- LLSA patient test results summary is “valuable
ammunition for the patient” and helps the doctor take them more seriously. It’s also a patient report card for the
- Doctor plays powerful role in acquisition &
- What LLSA is doing is well received, but
customers want more:
- Customers not sure what to expect from LLSA (i.e. transaction vs. relationship).
- Greater & more personalized touches at each touch point.
information & value-added solutions.
VoC Follow Up Actions
- Create a higher value customer experience at key
- During the screening.
- Post screening.
- Provide more personalized information
post-screening that is tailored to the person’s individual screening
- Build an online community that provides an
opportunity for sharing.
- Build a bridge to the Primary Care Doc.
Customer retention = #1 strategic priority.
VoC helped create unity of purpose and vision
for the entire management team.
Identified opportunities for improvement across
all functional areas.
Work in progress…but seeing a 85% YOY growth in